7/26/10

Doggie DIY Week: Day 1

This Monday - Friday I will  post a simple, money saving, eco-friendly project that you and your dog will enjoy! Try them out, and let us know how you like them!
I am starting today with a bath robe!
If you bathe your dog at home you know how difficult it can be to keep your house dry once the bath is over. Most dogs love to shake, rub, and drip water all over the house after a bath. To cut down the amount of water Toby spreads in his wild after-bath antics I made a simple bath robe out of an old sweatshirt.
At first I just put the sweatshirt on with no adjustments, but it wasn't too long before Toby was tripping all over himself in it! So first I cut off the sleeves (and saved them for another DIY project). That helped quite a bit but even my small sweatshirt was baggy around Toby's tiny waist, so I put a button on it. With a button on the side near his shoulder and a button hole on the waistband, I can slip it on easily then wrap it up and button it for a better fit. Pictures below (warning: I am by no means a tailor, my sewing is completely basic, I'm not good at it!):


Toby modeling the finished product! That face is not because of the shirt its because he has to hold still. The hood is optional, I usually turn it inside out to keep it off his eyes.














Figuring out where the button and hole should go.











 Where the button and hole are (and my lovely sewing skills on the button hole!)







TIPS: When you first try something on your dog take small steps and encourage him/her to tolerate it. Once it is on the first time, praise your dog then take it off and try again later, leaving the clothing on a little longer each time, always praising! If your dog is afraid of or does not like wearing clothes do NOT make them wear it! Always supervise your dog when they are wearing clothes!

1 comment:

  1. I have some sewing that needs done. Are you for hire?

    ReplyDelete