8/6/10

Love it!

Every once in a while you find a product that you just love! I LOVE my dog food! It took me a lot of research, and time to find a really good food for Toby and a few months ago I found something great! Lots of dog foods you find these days are full of corn and grain fillers when many dogs are allergic to these grains and  we all know dogs are carnivores. But to feed your dog a home made diet, raw or cooked, is time consuming and complicated, so most of us choose to feed whatever kibble we can afford.
When I first got Toby I was feeding him a popular brand's "natural" formula, the ingredients were decent (top ingredient was meat, no by-products etc) and I could manage the price. He was doing pretty well, but I was feeding him a lot more than the recommended amount for his weight just to keep his hips from sticking out. I knew that with his active lifestyle and being part whippet would keep him thin, but his ribs showing some was my limit. He was otherwise completely healthy so I knew it had to be his food that was the problem. So I tried another brand. No change. That is when I went on Dogster and asked around about affordable, quality dog foods. Several brands came up that sounded good but were pretty expensive. There was one brand that many people suggested that sounded great but I couldn't find a price or a store that listed it online, Canidae.
I was about to just give up and stick with what I had, when I saw that Canidae's website said they only sold to independent stores, not big corporate chains. I clicked on their store locator link and entered my zip code. Zamzows popped up, the one place I hadn't checked. So I ran out to Zamzows expecting to be shocked by the price of such a great sounding dog food, and I was. It was significantly cheaper than what I was feeding him!
-  More after the jump -


I bought a bag right away and transitioned him to the new food. The first difference I noticed was that Canidae smelled good! Almost like bacon! I figured it had to be a good sign, and sure enough it wasn't long before Toby's coat was even shinier than before, his skin didn't get flaky like it used to, his breath was a little better and he was eating less and keeping his weight on better. 
Just when I thought this dog food couldn't get better I was on their website again and saw a suggestion box link. I decided to write in and suggest that an occasional coupon would be nice, since my mom and I hadn't seen one in the months I had been feeding this food. The next day I got an email back saying that they would mail me coupons if I provided my address and they would sent a Frequent Buyer card. So I emailed back a thank you with my address and let them know I loved their food. Again I was emailed back the next day, they said that they were glad to hear it and asked if I would write a testimonial for their website. So I sent one in and they emailed back that day to say it was on the site! It was the best customer service I have seen from a company.
Toby and I both suggest Canidae to anyone looking for a quality dog food at a good price. To find out what to look for in a dog food check out this site for some tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment