7/28/10

Doggie DIY Week: Day 3

Since day one with Toby I have been trying to find new ways to keep him from inhaling his meals! I bought a ball that dispenses kibble as he rolls it around but I had to refill it four times to use it for a meal. Not wanting to spend more money on a larger version, but also wanting to be able to fill it only once, I started looking for alternatives. An idea came to me when my uncle was visiting and mentioned that his son's dog loved to play with plastic water bottles when they were empty, as he tossed the one in his hand toward Toby. Toby mouthed it a little, decided it wasn't food and picked it up to have someone throw it again. He played with it for quite a while with out damaging it, so I decided to try cutting a couple small holes in it and filling it with his food. I got out a utility knife and cut a hole slightly larger than a piece of kibble. I ran my finger along the edge of the hole, testing it for sharp spots and found none. I cut another hole and checked it for sharp edges too. Then I put a handful of kibble in, and replaced the lid. Toby eagerly took the bottle when I offered it, set it on the ground and sniffed at it. He saw and smelled the kibble inside and set about getting it out! He soon discovered that if he pushed it around with his nose, kibble popped out! He emptied it and brought it back proudly. The next one I made, I only cut one hole so that it would keep him busy longer.


If you make your own kibble bottle be sure to check it frequently for damage and sharp edges. For stronger chewers I recommend a Vitamin Water bottle or a similar, thicker bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment